Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

We are not amused

Our bedroom makeover is slowly becoming the bane of my existence. On the one hand, I recently purchased my most favorite bedding (being washed and dried as I type!!), found some adorable accessories, some graphics I want to use on a few pillows, purchased curtains, and managed to find a stash of books I've been hunting for specifically for their spine color (I love to decorate with books). So at least that part is off to a good start; the finish of the actual bed is becoming a royal pain in the arse however!


I picked up two tubes of Rub 'n Buff in "Spanish Copper" from Hobby Lobby, hoping to achieve that old-world-meets-semi-rusty-meets-amazing-piece-of-furniture-that-didn't-come-from-IKEA bed. Yeah...not so much.


Part of the problem is my product which should have come out like a waxy paste consistency was coming out in straight liquid form. I don't know if Hobby Lobby let it sit too long on their shelves or what, but I've worked with RNB before and this was not what it should have been. Also, the color? Not so much "copper" as much as "mud." I really do think I got a bad batch, but it's getting returned either way (I mean hey, that $11.50 can buy me a few cans of spray paint).


Which looks like that's where this project is heading. I wanted to try and do everything I could from disassembling the bed, hauling it downstairs, taking a week to paint, cure and off-fume, hauling it back upstairs, and reassembling it. I paint quite the dire picture don't I? But it doesn't look like this is going to be an in-room project. Now I just have to find the right finish and color. Right now it's a toss up between Rust-Oleum Hammered Finish spray paint in copper or brown, or their Multicolor Textured spray paint in autumn brown (I'm honestly hoping this looks as good in person as it does on their website). 

Guess a trip to Home Depot is in order...

No comments:

Post a Comment