Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Growing up {part 2}

Last we left off, I was talking about my promotion! My first ever if you can believe it. To take a moment and get all mushy, I really do have to thank the universe for the amazing job I've been blessed with. I've been here for two years now and have had the great fortune to work with some amazing people, and now I've been gifted with this opportunity years before I ever thought it would become available. But I digress...

With all the my-sister's-getting-married craziness, I don't think it actually hit me until Monday that I'm starting my new position today! I'm getting my own office, business cards, and even a title. As my husband and I have been saying (in Southern accents a la "O Brother Where Art Thou?"), I'm bonafide! It also means I have to step up my wardrobe (no more uniform!) and start dressing in corporate casual. I have some super cute outfits that I've added to my closet, but many more pieces are needed, including a new suit (truth be told, the one I bought five years ago from JC Penny has held up remarkably well all things considered). Current items I'm on the lookout for include: a khaki pencil skirt, a wrap dress, black and khaki capris, and  a good old fashioned trench come fall. I'm trying to build a very classic work wardrobe and I'm all about pencil skirts right now!


My biggest challenge has been finding comfortable high heels as I'm going from a five hour day to a nine hour day, and I know I'll be on my feet a good portion of that time. Let me rephrase that: I'm having a hard time finding comfortable high heels that don't cost me an arm and a leg or don't look like something my grandmother would wear. If I wanted to throw down $400 for some of the higher name brands then I'm in business. But I don't. Even some brands like the Cole Haan Nike Air line at $170 seems a bit too steep for me right now (let me climb the corporate ladder a bit more). Other brands like Clark's and Naturalizer are tooted for their comfort, but I'm a horrible snob when it comes to the appearance of my footwear (I freely admit it; don't boo and hiss at me). Fortunately, Macy's was my saving grace when I recently found not one, but two pairs of shoes for about $70 a piece.


First up, my Calvin Klein "Kail Lizard Print" heels, which have to be some of the most comfortable shoes ever; not just high heels. Shoes. Ever. The foot bed has some of the best padding I've felt since my New Balance running shoes, and the super snappy texture and stacked heel make these neutral babies my new obsession. It also makes me want to try other styles in this line.


The other pair are "Fairfax" by a brand called Alfani, which I'm not sure if it's a Macy's specific brand or not. But the black patent leather and faux-snake skin pattern keeps these feeling fresh without being boring.


They also have a super comfy foot bed, although I did have to add heels grips to keep myself from stepping out of them. I love these even more because they're similar to a five-inch tall pair I bought from G by Guess (actually being worn in the bachelorette party attire).


I am feeling super nervous/excited/sad all at once. I really don't want to leave my people, but I know this is an opportunity that cannot be passed up (and truthfully this is the job I've had my sights set on since earlier this year). So wish me luck! As you read this I'm probably preparing myself for my first day as a "bonafide!"


I was in no way perked, bribed, or otherwise compensated by Macy's or any other companies and brands listed in this post. My thoughts and opinions on the above items are 100% my own. However, if I ever was cool enough to be offered anything for my time and consideration, I would whole heartily disclose it with my readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment