Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Hammer time

NOTE: to anyone who takes home wedding centerpieces, double to check to see how much of it is real and what (if anything) is fake. Imagine my surprise/squeeged-ness when I realized the moss under my bird'd nest was real, and thanks to the moisture from the floral foam was starting to grow mold! Squeege! 

Along with all my other painting trials and tribulations this week, I managed to repaint the ivory birdcage I stole from a centerpiece at my sister's wedding (are you sick of that link yet??). I could have left the cage the way it was, but I wasn't digging the white finish at all. Metals in our house tend to have color to them be it bronze, silver, or black. And this time, I wanted to go with something a little warmer.


Since I'm currently obsessed with finding a rusted finish for our bed frame, I wanted to stay in the same general color family with the birdcage (especially since it wouldn't be in our bedroom, I wanted to carry that color throughout the house in another way). So I grabbed Rust-Oleum's Hammered finish spray paint in "Copper" and went to town on the little cage (once it was flower, foam, and mold free).


Once it was finished, I grabbed some reindeer moss from Pottery Barn and built up a bade for the bird's nest again, all while guaranteeing I wouldn't have a mold issue in a week or two. Plus, come fall I'll probably swap it out for a leaf garland, and in winter some holly berries. Gotta love decor that can stay out year round with just a few minor tweaks!  


I popped it into a tray that has been all over our house in one way or another (from JoAnn's of all places), and completed the vignette with some of my favorite Irish-themed books, and the whimsical wood carved mushrooms we grabbed at the county fair last year (we tried to find more this year, but sadly we didn't see any we liked).



Loving the warmth the copper cage adds to all the blues and greens we have going on in the living room. I'm in the midst of decorating the wall-unit-turned-tv-console that it's sitting on, so I'll be back with more pictures of that (hopefully) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment